Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Girls and Faith

This is a post I know not where to begin. Things have been fairly slow lately…we had a week off from “studies” and just chilled around the house/town most of the time. It’s been a nice week of relaxing, but I am ready to get back on schedule. This coming week most of our scheduled time will be taken up with a conference of Sacred Romance. A local couple, who are very good friends of NieuCommunities, will be doing the conference. I am looking forward to it! I have never gotten to read the books by John Eldredge (besides Captivating which he co-authored with this wife), but I have heard good things about them and this conference! If you want to know more you can go to this link.

Last week, May 13th-15th, I had the opportunity to stay with the girls I will be working with throughout the rest of my time here. They live in a fairly nice home. It has 2 bigger bedrooms where the girls sleep (3 sets of bunk beds in each) and a smaller bedroom where the house mother sleeps (there are 3 moms that rotate throughout the weeks). They also have a homework room, a small living room, a kitchen, and one bathroom. Yes…one bathroom for 10 girls and a house mom! But, they seem to manage fine and that bathroom is probably a lot nicer than the ones they are accustomed to. All in all, a great place for the girls to live.


The time with the girls was great! We hung out with the staff during the day while they were at school (and even got to do one day of prison outreach). Then, we hung with the girls from about 3:00 on doing homework or just getting to know them more. We watched movies with them at night…which they really loved! I think it was a great treat for them. They cooked us dinner, which was so nice! Sometimes it’s hard to accept the great treatment we are given. They always want to give us the biggest portions, the best food, and the nicest things. One girl even gave up her bed for me! It makes me wonder why they do it. Is it just because we are a guest? Is it just in their nature/culture to be so hospitable? I am not totally sure the reasons, but it’s always really sweet to see…and makes me think of how I treat my guests!


As I stayed there with the girls I felt such joy! As we sat around watching movies I could see the little girls inside of them…the little girls that have been stolen away by poverty, abuse, neglect. I could see how much they enjoyed just being girls, with no worries, no hurt, no pain…just girls. So many hard times and struggles have already come their way, yet, I could see the light in them that Jesus sees. I could feel the joy in knowing that they are His. They are precious in His sight. I pray that they are or become precious in the sight of those around them…including themselves. Please pray for the 10 girls at the Lerato House…as well as the house moms. They are all in need…in one way or another! Thank you so much!


I did not get to meet with Wilna last Tuesday from the Tshwane Leadership Foundation…who works on trafficking. She got tied up with something else and had to cancel our meeting. I will admit that I was super frustrated by her cancellation. She is an extremely busy woman, but there are times here when people just cancel things and think nothing of it…or are really late to meetings. Everyone jokes about things being on Africa time, but it’s true! As a Westerner it can be one of the hardest things to get used to! It’s hard not to take things personally and to not feel unappreciated. But, I am still praying that the meeting comes about in the very near future. When I spoke with her on the phone she seemed excited to meet and get things going further with trafficking in South Africa…she didn’t seem to think there was near enough being done. So, please pray that the meeting would take place soon and that I would be patient in the mean time! God’s timing…right? :)


Personally, I have been in a rote place spiritually. I think in part it has been the week off. I tend to get in a bit of slump when I don’t have a steady schedule of sorts. I can get extremely unmotivated. But, lately, I seem to have been questioning the nearness of God. I don’t always know what to make of that. Sometimes I just wonder how He can know me…how He can care about me…how He can know what’s going on in my life…how He can be close to me while He feels so far. I know it’s not always about Him feeling close…about me hearing from Him…about always being on a spiritual high. Hebrews 11:1 tells us, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” I love that verse but had a hard time grasping it for the longest time. I actually read a sermon by John Piper once which helped clarify things for me…click here to read it. I just reread it myself and this in particular stood out this time… “In other words, faith grasps - lays hold of - God's preciousness so firmly that in the faith itself there is the substance of the goodness and the sweetness promised. Faith doesn't create what we hope for - that would be a mere mind game. Faith is a spiritual apprehending or perceiving or tasting or sensing of the beauty and sweetness and preciousness and goodness of what God promises - especially his own fellowship, and the enjoyment of his own presence. I know that God is with me…ALWAYS! I trust in that and take hold of it. Sometimes it’s just difficult when I don’t feel him close and have to rely purely on Faith. I choose to Believe.


Thank you to all for your continued prayers! I think about my family and friends often and continue to feel the blessing of having you journey with me.


Much Love,

manda

2 comments:

matt e. said...

Super-good post! Especially enjoyed reading this...

I know that God is with me…ALWAYS! I trust in that and take hold of it. Sometimes it’s just difficult when I don’t feel him close and have to rely purely on Faith. I choose to Believe.

Good stuff! :o)

Roger Saner said...

Thanks for this post, Amanda - I see good things happening with you and I think God is leading you somewhere deeper :)