Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Visions

Hello all!

Last time I wrote, I told you that I would be sharing my vision statement with you. I am excited to be able to do that this week! Last Friday we had the chance to share our final drafts with our entire community and be prayed for. It was really great and very encouraging. Earlier that day, I had a great conversation with my roommate (brought on from book discussion and our Friday conversation) about following God and what it looks like. One of the main things we talked about was communion with God (one of the three “beats” of NieuCommunities…communion, community, and mission) and how that's where it all starts! How do we know we are going in the right direction? Are we trying to live out a vision that is only of us or one that has been given to us by God? Are we in touch with Him enough to even hear the vision He’s giving us? This year has taught me so much about communing with God. I have realized how important and crucial it is to me. I know that I don’t want to move in any direction if it’s not of Him. That’s not to say that I will have all the answers all the time. I know that there will be times when God is leading me, and I will only know enough to take the first step. But, I know it’s a good first step to take. I have also learned that it’s important to let yourself dream with God…to allow yourself to listen to what He may be saying. How often to we let ourselves dream or envision the future? I can say that I never used to dream. I never used to explore. I have never even been able to say where I see myself in the coming years. That has changed this year. I’m not saying that I know exactly what the rest of my life will look like, but I know who I am at the core and who God has made me to be…I know what drives me now…what gives me joy. Communing with God more and more got me there…that I know for sure! That said, I do know that I will be back in Atlanta missioning to the women and children that have been hurt by human trafficking and child prostitution. The specifics are still in the works but I am excited. I know that I am taking the right first steps and I am trusting God to show me the next ones. Following is my completed Vision Statement. I hope you enjoy it!

SELF. I desire to live a life fully devoted to God. I want to walk hand and hand with my Father and bring Him glory in all that I do. I want to dance with the Triune God. I want my fellowship with them to be so apparent that it is no longer me that people see but Christ. I hope to be the selfless, humble servant God has called me to be to all. I want to be a person of great love.

JUSTICE. I want to fight for justice, so that I no longer see hurt in the eyes of God’s children. I want to be an agent of change amongst a world that is seeking its own desires. I want to pour compassion, love, and kindness upon women and children that have been shut-out, stolen, broken, hurt, and emotionally destroyed. I want to show those that feel they have no worth that they are precious in their Father’s eyes. In doing all this I want to create a home where these women and children can come when they are in need…a place of rescue…a place of love.

COMMUNITY. I desire to live in intentional community and continue to learn what it means to be a Christian every day of the week. I want to live a life of simplicity with those around me so that our extra may be another’s gain. I want to live in such a way where it’s apparent that I don’t value the things of this world but the people. Because of this, I want my community to live among those in need so we can see clearly where God would use us. I desire a community of diversity—a life filled with all of those that will be sitting around God’s table one day.

LEAD. I want to teach, instruct, and lead in the way God has designed me. I desire others to learn about the injustices of this world and help them to fight it in their unique way. I want to journey with others as they learn what it means to be followers of Christ, and motivate them to use the gifts that God has given them.


Last week I also had the rare opportunity to visit my World Vision sponsor child, Maka. She lives in Lesotho (click for map) which is a country that is located within South Africa. It is actually pronounced “lesutu”…the h in African languages is silent. It worked out perfectly because the girls here went on trip to the Drakensberg mountains, which are on the border of Lesotho and South Africa. I had been trying to make this visit happen all year and the timing ending up being perfect. My friends (Kellie, Laura, Barbara) and I all made the trek in and were greeted warmly at the border by our World Vision host, Thuso. From there we drove to the World Vision office that is in charge of the area where my sponsor child lives. We were greeted warmly by all the staff and given the rundown of the recent projects, etc. After this, we got in the trucks and made our way up into the mountains where my child’s family lives. It was quite the bumpy ride but beautiful as well! Lesotho is quite picturesque, partly to do with the fact that it isn’t developed nearly as much as most countries. It has been an independent nation since 1964, but I don’t think there were many people other than natives living there in the first place. When we finally got up the mountain we had an amazing greeting by many, if not all, of the people in the village! As we got close to the house we had passed an elementary school. By the time we got to Maka’s house all the kids had run down! It was hilarious! We got some great pictures of it! Our time there mainly consisted of a welcome from the village chief and Maka’s family, members of the family dancing for us, and me having to address the crowd a few times! We had lunch, traditional food which was not too bad! Believe me…I am not always good at trying new food so it was a good time for me! I then gave my child and her family some gifts and they gave me many in return (also in the pictures). I really enjoyed my time in Lesotho with this family! I never dreamed I would have had this chance when I first started supporting her back in 2005. I was a little bummed that my child and her mom were so overwhelmed by the experience though. They were very shy!! I wanted to scoop Maka right up, but I knew that wasn’t going to happen.:) But, we did get some great pictures. Her face absolutely lit up when she got the coloring book and crayons! If you want more information on sponsoring a child through World Vision click here. Also, click here for pictures from my trip.

So, November 17th I will be back on American soil. Wow! I look forward to reconnecting and sharing in more detail what God has planned for my life.

Much Love,

manda

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda, Your vision statement is amazing! Tears came to my eyes... can't wait to see how God puts specifics to His dream.
~Melissa H.

Nathan Clendenin said...

That's a great vision statement - one that only God can help you fulfill, so you won't be tempted to think you're living it on your own strength! I'm excited to hear more about life back in Atlanta once you return and get settled.

Unknown said...

This is really encouraging, Amanda! It's exciting to know that God has molded and shaped you this year, setting you out now to know better your purpose in bringing His will to earth. "...and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it." --Jesus, Revelation 2:17

Pam Wall said...

Wow! What an amazing experience! How GREAT is our God!!!!

It has been a joy to partner with you this year. God "knows the plans He has for you" and I will be excited to watch and pray as He continues to guide you on His path.

Can't wait to see you when you get back to Atlanta.

Thanks for sharing all of your entries & photos...PRICELESS!

Anna said...

Hey Amanda, How incredible! Your vision statement is inspirational, thanks for sharing! I am so happy how amazing this year has been for you.
Love and Prayers,
Anna

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.