Sunday, March 2, 2008

Sunday in South Africa

Today was my second church experience in South Africa, the first one being on Ash Wednesday. I have been anxious to try some of the churches around here to find one that might fit. I have a feeling I might do some church hopping this year, but that's ok for now. Today's experience was quite different from the norm. But, it reminded me of the church service I went to the last time I was in South Africa, so that was neat.

We went to Beaula Tabernacle Church, which is in the township Soshanguve. The service was quite lively...but very hot!!! It was indoors but the sun just beats down on this church and there is not much reprieve from the heat! (But it didn't affect the people and their spirits one bit!) The people at this church, which is fairly new, are wonderful! They had all the guests stand up and introduce themselves and then they played this song and everyone went around to give you hugs. I absolutely loved how welcoming they were! It gives you a great image of what church should be like. You could tell that all cared for each other like family. They all helped take care of the children...you never knew who was the mom of who! :) They also announced that they were having wedding showers for different couples. What a community! I could tell that these people loved the Lord whole heartedly! You couldn't help but feel lifted up upon leaving that place of worship!

There were five of us who went with our friends Luc and Petunia (and two of their guests). Luc was on staff with NieuCommunities the past few years and has recently moved over to InnerChange, which is another organization of CRM. (click on InnerChange to learn more.) It's a ministry that is focused on the poor and lives in and among them. Luc and Petunia have been married a couple of years and have 2 daughters, Moskey and Bahati. Luc is actually a refugee from the Congo and Petunia is from South Africa. They are an amazing family with a huge heart for God and His people. I know God is going to do amazing things through them as they join the InnerChange "family". They are actually starting the ministry here in South Africa so the team is just them. I believe they are having some apprentices come soon, so hopefully the team will be growing larger! If you have a desire to support this group or Luc personally, let me know! Luc and Petunia currently live in a house on Pangani's property, but they will be moving to Soshanguve very soon. They will be missed very much!!! However, it's going to be awesome to have InnerChange and NieuCommunites both in South Africa! I think it will make a great team!

Personally, things continue to go well. There are times when I really miss my friends and family still, but I truly love the people I am getting the chance to do life with right now. I am still trying to seek God with my all. I am finally getting better at spending some time alone and with God. It's hard to get that time when there are so many people around! You really have to make an effort! I am still praying about my place of ministry but still feel called to the Lerato House for Girls. I will hopefully get to go back and visit next week. Please pray for me in that area and that I would heed to God's calling.

I hope all is well on the other side of the world! I would love any prayer requests from you as well!

Much love and prayers!

manda :)

1 comment:

matt e. said...

Awesome! I want some hugs too! :o) Things sound good over there. I'll keep praying that you'll find the right ministry to serve in.

Glad your enjoying new friendships there. What a wonderful thing that is. Try this relational experiment (if you want): Really listen to someone today in a completely nonjudgmental way. Both of you might be surprised. :o)

Things are good here. Last night I saw a movie that was written and directed by some guys from NPCC. It was really quite good. It had some good messages about the true nature of the church (welcoming!) without being preachy. Plus, it was very suspenseful. (I only closed my eyes once, briefly. Had to be brave! ;o)

Blessings, Amanda! :o)