Sunday, February 3, 2008

Faith...Cricket...Apartheid

Once again, not sure where to begin this blog post. We have had another jam packed week. Time seems to continue standing still here. I can't believe it's only been 2 weeks! In one sense, i feel like i know this place and these people so much, and in another i am wondering where in the world i am and who these people are! :) seriously though, the fact that i get along so well with the other apprentices and the staff has been what's really pulled me through this time of transition. We did some team building activiting at at game ranch not far from here which was fun. I have done some of the activities before but it was still fun with a new group. It's starting to feel more like a home here. I still really miss friends and family, but i am thankful that things have been going so well here.











I continue to be blown away by the amazing faith displayed by those who live in such desperate places. We met more folks from the township this week, Comfort and Paster Samson. They gave us a picture of hope in the township. They are on fire for the Lord and want to see change. They continue to fight for what the hope and believe in...Our Lord and Savior, Jesus! They are amazing. I can't even being to express what it was like to meet them. As is evident here. :) We also met Maria, who lives in Pretoria North. She runs an AIDS agency that provides counseling and does advocacy and awareness. She has been HIV positive for 18 years!!! She is beautiful!! She says one of the hardest things they are dealing with is that people won't accept their "status"...meaning not accepting the fact that they might be HIV positive or have AIDS. It's a really sad cycle that continues to go on and on. It's often times really difficult to hear all these stories but it also excites me to some degree. I am so excited that I get to be here and be apart of all that's happening to change this nation. I thank the Lord constantly for this opportunity.


We also had the chance to go to the Apartheid Museum. That is really tough place to walk through, but amazing. It tells the story of the long struggle this nation went through, and continues to go through. I am amazed that South Africa went through something kind of similiar to what the US went through during the Civil Rights Movement. So sad that we couldn't learn from each other. If you haven't read up the Aparthied you should. It's a rich piece of history...and very sad. I think we all remember when Nelson Mandela was freed from prison...but do you know why he was in there and why he was let out? Sorry...maybe the teacher in me is coming out. :) I expect a research paper from each of you in one week time. :)












We ended this week with our first international cricket match. Very cool! In that, I am not at all referring to the weather! It was extremely HOT!!! We had lawn seats, which are really fun, but the sun just beats down on you! There was no relief expect for the slight breezes that occasionally came in or if you left the stadium to walk around the outside for a bit. But, I think I a have most of the cricket rules down...and there are a lot! It was cool to see it first hand and really get to know the game. I enjoyed it a lot...despite the heat and the fact that one teams inning took 4 hours!!!!!!!! They only have 2 innings...one hitting and one defensive for each side. They have to get through alloted outs or balls thrown to them before their hitting inning is up. But, that takes a really long time! It rained when South Africa had just been up for a bit. So...some of hit the road. We were hot and tired! The coolest part was that it was their best player's, Shaun Pollock, last game.










Ok, I guess that's all for this edition. Love and prayers!
manda :)

3 comments:

matt e. said...

I want to do a research project on cricket! I wonder if it's as fun as wiffle ball?

Thanks for the updates! I hope you're doing really well...it sounds like you are. Btw, just got back from Adam's Super Bowl party. The Giants beat the Patriots in a super-awesome game! :o)

Andrea said...

It's so great to hear that things are going well. Keep the updates and pictures coming! Sending love and prayers down your way!

Misty Paige said...

Just wanted you to know I am keeping up with your blogs - thanks for taking the time to write! So excited to see where God has and is taking you!